Question about my dads S-R
Create Post

Question about my dads S-R

Hello Marines. Its been a while since I have been on here. I hope all is well. I have been doing a genealogy type thing but having to do with my dads, and grandpas service. Anyway.

Looking at my dads service record, Under the Transfer or Discharge Data.

It states,

Para 6016. 1c MARCORSEPMAN & CMC mag 240107Z Apr 70.

Also under the Service Data, Related Civilian Occupation and D.O.T Number.

0-50.56 Proof Tech Smallarms

What does all this mean? I went to both the American legion with this and the a few of the local VFW's. They cant help me out. There are no Vietnam vets at either place.

My dad served in Vietnam, 66 threw 70.
    Golf company 2/3/5 and did boot at Camp pendleton.

Thank you all!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is no boot at Pendleton,,,,,,,,,

Ok? I have his plt photo from 1966 from boot camp after he finished..

Last edited by truckdrivermn; 05-30-09 at 07:35 PM. Reason: I cant type....

I suppose i am wrong.. boot camp was not at camp pendleton, The pic says San deigo.

Para 6016. 1c MARCORSEPMAN & CMC mag 240107Z Apr 70.

This is simply the authority by which he was separated. The Marine Corps seperations manual. 240107Z Apr 70 is a message that updated the manual

Also under the Service Data, Related Civilian Occupation and D.O.T Number.

This is what his job in the Marine Corps was equal to in the civilian world.

0-50.56 Proof Tech Smallarms

Looks like he was in the armory. Probably tested pistols and rifles for proper function.

Yep. Likely an armorer at a higher level (like the Base) with a very specialized skill. OR, that's the closest DOT job that matched armorer.

Hi all. Thank you for the replies to this thread. I am sorry It has been so long. I drive truck and I was in a head on crash shortly after I posted this.

My dad passed away last year. The doctor said complications from herbicide.

Are the gentlemen still around who replied to my thread here?

I was wondering. I have been told by many people, including my dad that he was a sniper. SGT. Leprechaun said, a armorer at a higher level. With a very specialized skill.

Would this have anything to do with being a sniper? 23a on his S-R says his specialty number and title (MOS) is 0311 Rifleman.... But he also told me every marine is a rifleman lol.

I really wished he would have talked more. But I guess I understand why he doesn't

Thank you all so much.

Thanks for coming back....and hope you are well!

An armorer *could* have been a sniper IF they were previously an infantryman. It's possible he was an infantryman, then sniper, then moved into the armory. Is there anything on your dad's DD-214 indicating he served as a sniper at any time?

The easiest way to find out is to ask for his service records through NARA. As his son you should be able to get them with little or no problem.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Incorrect Sgt Lep, an Armorer during that time period could not have become a sniper.. no way...

That's just the way it was.. he was an Armorer, LTI weapons and small arms repair...

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    GySgt to Pvt Job Description: Small arms repairer/technician in the grade of Private through Lance Corporal, under supervision, performs basic duties incident to inspection, maintenance, and repair of all small arms, less vehicular mounted weapons. The small arms repairer/technician also completes basic shop administrative forms and records utilizing technical manuals. At the Corporal through Gunnery Sergeant level the small arms repairer/technician performs, trains, and supervises various duties incident to inspection, maintenance, and repair of all small arms, to include vehicular mounted small arms. The small arms repairer/technician also prepares, maintains, and supervises a shop maintenance and management program and coordinates maintenance and repair of small arms according to grade.

FO, generally speaking I agree. However, sometimes odd things happen. My 'timeline' (0311 to sniper to armorer) isn't beyond the realm of possibility. As a researcher for many 'Stolen valor' cases I've learned to 'never say never' about military records and the weirdness therein. Is it 'possible'? Sure.

Is it 'probable'....well, that we don't know at this point.

But I concur with your post

Anything can happen in the Corps, depends on the circumstances.

Thank you for the replies. There is nothing indicating he was a sniper on his service record. just 0311 rifleman and the 0-50.56 proof tech small arms.

I cant remember what I posted about him. But,
    he served with Golf co. 2nd BN 3rd mar, 5thMEB (and what does MEB mean?) I also remember him telling me he was with 2/3/3....

What is "type of certificate issued"? DD 25 MC

His decorations are, National Defence Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal w/ Device. And Purple heart medal (3) I recently was given his 3 purple hearts from my aunt.

What would a armorer be do in battle? Would my dad have been the guy running ammo and what not up to the guys? I know my dad was shot stabbed, shot and hit with shrapnel. I wish I had more pics of my dad, all I have is his plt grad photo, and a pic of a general pinning a purple heart on my dad in a hospital....

I am really sorry about asking all these questions. I kinda wish I could get more info from the government. All I got was 2 pages from st louis.

I just trying trying to fit the pieces of stories my dad told, what other family has told me and what his service record is showing. I really really wish he would have talked about it more....

It sounds to me like my earlier theory *may* be correct. First an infantryman, then wounded x3, sent to armorer school.

MEB is "Marine Expeditionary Brigade". Just a higher unit he was assigned to.

I think the DD-25 is the Honorable Discharge certificate.

Here is some history on 2/3, quick down and dirty:

"2/3 deployed to Da Nang in the Republic of Vietnam in April 1965. They fought in Vietnam from April 1965 until October 1969, operating from DaNang, Camp Carroll, Quang Tri, Cam Lo, the A Shau Valley and Khe Sanh. The battalion made a night helicopter assault in the Elephant Valley south of Da Nang on 12 August 1965, shortly after Marine ground troops arrived in country. In October 1969, the battalion relocated to MCB Camp Pendleton."

If you do some research on 2/3 you'll likely be able to come up with all sorts of information, no doubt including a reunion website (maybe). These Marines would love to hear from you and could likely tell you stories about your dad. Worth looking for.

Thread Information